Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Gratitude Attitude

When my kids were growing up we had a set of books, puppets and cassette tapes that were part of a collection called "Standing Tall". They were wonderful teaching tools for our children and we spent alot of fun time learning from them. To this day I still remember the song about having a "gratitude attitude". I don't remember the story that went with it so much as I remember the lesson to be learned. Basically, we choose our attitude about life and if we choose to be grateful for what we have and where we are in life, then we will be happy. Or we can choose to be miserable and only see the downside of things. Whatever our attitude, we need to realize that it is infectious to others. And I think that is double true for women. Do we want to pass along "warm fuzzies" or "cold prickleys"? Abraham Lincoln once said, "People are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be". Oh, how very true that is! I find that when I start feeling low about things I can spiral into a pity party rather quickly if I don't recognize and reverse my thoughts. I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I got the call about 4:30 the day before Thanksgiving and though I wasn't really surprised ( I am a sugar/ chocaholic at heart) it was a bitter pill to swallow right before a holiday. I was so discouraged and fearful of the whole idea. My imagination went into overdrive conjuring up thoughts about all the good food that I would miss, the need for medication, the doctor's appointments, and on and on. It took me several weeks to come to terms with my feelings. I am finally starting to come around to the realization that I not only need an "attitude check" but I need to acknowledge to my Heavenly Father how grateful I am for this diagnosis. I have a chance to make changes that will improve the quality of my life and hopefully lengthen it. I already am feeling better just since I started taking medicine. I am thankful for the good insurance that we have and a family that loves and supports me. Also I am grateful for all the sweet friendships I have made in our ward. I feel like I am never alone no matter what burden I carry because any one of the sisters in our ward would be there to help me if I ever needed it. It just goes unsaid- the bond of love and support we share for one another. Lucky ME!!!!!!!
(As a sidenote I have to say I am LOVING the blogs. Thank you to everyone that shares their family blogs with our ward family. It has been such a treat to be able to keep up with everyone and see all the fun pictures. If you're not onboard yet, we want you to join us :)

6 comments:

runningfan said...

Hahaha...I totally know that Gratitude Attitude song!

Also, my dad was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes a year ago in August. Since then he's lost 100 pounds and is a new man all around. He's the daddy I remember from my childhood - fun, happy, energetic, and full of life. He really struggled for a while, but has discovered a new way of life that has helped him in so many ways. Good luck to you!

The Bui's said...

I still have the cassette tape with all those songs on it. Love it!

And you are last person I would ever request a change of attitude from. You are the sweetest, most kind hearted angel and I adore you. Diabetes runs rampit on both sides of my family. It has always frightened me. But I have comfort knowing that all of my famiy members have lived comfortable and successful lives with it for years. I know you will too.

I guess you'll just have to become a salt-aholic like me. That brings a whole other set of problems.

Rachel said...

JoAnne, you are such a good friend to everyone in the ward (and elsewhere I'm sure). Your smile is contagious and I can hardly think of a time when you don't display one. I have gratitude for your friendship. You are so kind and loving. What a great post!

runningfan said...

Joanne, I don't have your email address, but I'm hoping you can send me a copy of that awesome emergency car kit list you presented to the Doom Squad last spring. Do you still have it? It was you, right? :) I'm finally getting serious about emergency prep! :) heidi@thebartles.com

Jackie, Chris, and Camden said...

I will say a little prayer for you and you are never alone! There is family in Ga thinking of you often! I love you Aunt Joanne!

The Grimmett's said...

I totally still have those books! We just found them this summer and they are on the bookshelf in Maisey's room!

It also sounds like you guys had a great Thanksgiving! We hope Christmas is just as good!