Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Fun

For the first Labor Day in as long as I can remember, Garth and I didn't make any real plans. Usually we have the kids over for a barbecue/ get-together since school starts the next morning. With Marissa already at college, we ended up with a free day. :):)
Our friends the Grimmetts, who had been down to visit their son and his family, were heading back to Spokane today. Since Richard always likes to stop at Powell's Books, we decided to meet up with them for a couple of hours.
Garth and I always enjoy bumping around in there for a bit too. They have an incredible selection of used and new books. We got out without spending a dime. The Grimmett's?
Not so lucky or should I say "very lucky"?!
They had a big stack of books!!



Afterwards, we walked about seven blocks over to Byway's Cafe for lunch.
The wait was about an hour but they told us if we got it to go, it wouldn't take as long.
We snagged a couple of picnic tables out front, borrowed two menus and decided what we wanted.
Unfortunately, we found out they were ONLY serving breakfast all day today.
Hmmm. No thanks.



Time for "Plan B".
Garth led us up the street to a place he had been for lunch with his work group before.
Henry's 12th St. Tavern (a bar and grill). Before they renovated it into the eating place, it used to be the Blitz-Weinhard Brewery. Apparently, the same group that owns this place also own Stanford's, Newport Bay and Portland Bar and Grill. That would explain the totally yummy food.



As we were heading back to our cars, I ran ahead of everyone so I could snap a picture.
You got a problem with that Nathaniel?!?!
Too late, I caught you before you darted out of the picture.
(hehe)
Nick was walking right behind Nathaniel with his nose in his new book. Money well spent by the way. He hadn't quit looking at it since we left Powell's.



It was fun to see you guys again. Wish we lived closer!!!
(we really did get Nick to look up for a picture but unfortunately Jeanne's eyes were shut).




This evening Garth and I went to the Valley Theater out on Beaverton- Hillsdale Hwy to watch "Up". I highly recommend it. Way cute....and so was my date. ;)

4 comments:

Annette said...

sounds like you had a great day! I love Henrys Tavern... Robert and i went there on a date day... so yummy!

Danielle said...

looks like you guys had fun! and i'm so excited to see 'up' when we get it at the library (lol).

Kendra Goodrich said...

What a fun Portland day. I hear 'Up' is good. It was Levi's first (and only) movie theater experience and he loved it (grandma took him, of course, so I missed it)

The Grimmetts in Real Life said...

Joanne, I love being with you because you make me laugh and enjoy life. Thanks for making time for us that morning. I love the shot of Nathaniel trying to get out of the picture and the way you got it!! We LOVE YOU GUYS!!